How a picture a day kept the doctor away

 It is hard as a caregiver to answer the question how am I doing?  Our day to day focus is on the person we are caring for.  Often that means my voice is drowned out and turned down so low that to get attention my body must scream it out.  Which means I sometimes notice health items that are in a  dangerous stage.  I have begun then a new ritual that started with a dress, and a picture a day that help change all that.

A dress?  Yes, the 100 day dress challenge where you wear the same dress for 100 days and have to take a picture of yourself with it to provide "proof" so that you can qualify for the gift certificate.  During that challenge the day to day picture was a moment to look at myself.  To evaluate myself, and to see me for a short space of time.  I began the process of the picture to get the 100 dollar gift certificate, but I ended with a process to check in.

I noticed somethings about my weight and health I was not happy with.  My doctor had told me my blood sugar was high.  And gave me the opportunity to try and fix that by loosing weight and exercise.  But the picture really let me see myself, and spend a moment in reflection about what I was doing to care for that person in the picture.  During that time I increased my exercise, got a health coach and joined another video health management and lost 26 pounds.  It was the day the day check in though that help me really see myself for the first time in a long time.

Today way pass the 100 day dress challenge, I check in with either a picture or a long look in the mirror.  I talk to myself I give myself grace, I say kind things to that person.  My latest mantra is you are healthy person.  I use this particular mantra to assist with my choosing healthy food and exercise activities.  

Dear caregiver, spend a few minutes checking in with you and say kind things.  Maybe you begin a photo journal of you.  


Peace to you,

Pastor Georgia
 

Comments