Waiting with God in the dentist Chair


Today I went to the dentist in hopes he would see my chipped tooth and schedule a different day to do the work. Instead as luck would have it he looked in my mouth and decided a root canal, and another tooth would need a filling. I gathered my nerve and stayed in the chair. For those of you who do not understand my fear let me just paint for you what dentistry was like in my childhood. When I went to the dentist in rural Michigan, my dentist did not say anything other than bark commands. I am guessing as a former Army dentist that is what he was use to. But for a small child it was scary. Worse than that he didn't use pain reliever of any sort when doing fillings. My luck there was plenty of those. It wasn't until college that I realized that there was a better way, but by then the fear of dentist had permanently been etched in my mind, body and spirit. So when I sat in that dentist chair, all those old feelings, came back even though I know logically my dentist is awesome.

So I sat in the chair, close my eyes and I put myself in the Colca Canyon (see picture) and carefully recited a prayer that I have been using to meditate: Be still and know that I am God. (Psalm 46:10a)
Then he put the shot in my mouth (several I'm guessing as I couldn't keep my eyes open)
I repeated "Be still and know that I Am...
He continued with drilling, and drilling, I could smell the drill grinding against my teeth...
I repeated "Be still and know"
Then he worked on a my other tooth that needed a filling, he continued with additional shots...
I repeated "Be still"
Finally he put the filling in and the temporary cap on the tooth with the root canal..
I repeated "Be"
Then I was finished.

My dear friends it was the best experience ever in the dentist chair. God met me in the dentist chair and carried me through!

Whatever it is that you are facing, relax and concentrate on that verse "Be still and know that I am God", and I know God will carry you through.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It is a wonderful story of God meeting us in our ordinary comings and goings and in our deepest fears. Thanks for Sharing, gratitude from Melinda Harwood
Anonymous said…
What wonderful and wise words that can be shared with a child of God of any age. What a pity that you were not prepared in body-mind-and spirit for your initial dentist experience.

My background has a somewhat similar but very different story of terror in the dentist's chair. I was first taken to the dentist when I was 10 years old. I had the same amount of cavities. Because the thought of a shot caused me great stress, I promised that dentist that I would sit completely still with my mouth open as long as he did not give me a shot.

I too use visualization of God's first sanctuary...nature to bring me peace.

My current practice includes teaching prevention strategies and relaxation techniques.

Blessings!
"The Tooth Fairy" :)
Anonymous said…
I don't know the fear of being in a dentist chair. But I DO know other anxieties and hurts, especially the pain of rejection and loss. So when I noticed your scripture, I thought of MY favorite scripture. It is the one that puts everything into perspective and gives me hope. "For God works all things to the good, for those who are called according to His promise....." It gives me a victory over ALL the bad stuff, knowing that God will turn it around!!!! (Even going to the dentist would be YOUR victory over fear!)

God bless you, Georgia,
Becky Wiren