WHY do I care what 'he' thinks?

I have been reading a scholarly writing.  Which is a bit like watching paint dry unless you are interested then you notice the color, sheen and appearance in details that only the nerdy in that subject matter care.

The book is called "Egeria: Diary of a Pilgrimage" by George E. Gingras, PHD.

It is about a woman named Egeria who was a pilgrim and made trips all around the middle east area attempting to cover biblical locations.  She was from Spain and her writings are still used today throughout the world as our method of "church worship" style.  And as all scholarly writings the first part is trying to show how it is "real" and what time period she came from.  As with most writings of this style the writer is trying to legitimize, and guess the timing of her writings.  They use writers of the period, and history to match up where she fits in the time line.

The book uses the writings of St. Jerome to determine when she existed.  My thought is, how do we know that St. Jerome didn't use her writings to write his?  Why do we assume that the man's writing came first?

Hence my thinking today why do I care what "he" thinks?

Just thought I throw that one out there today.  What are you prioritizing based on someone priorities?

Me choosing instead to begin prioritizing on what gives me joy and keeps me on the pilgrim's path of loving God & neighbor.

Comments