Coming out of the closet- Shake it!


Today as I was walkun (my term for trying to run but mainly walking) I thought I should just come out today and let people know what my "power song" is. (what is a power song? - a song on your Ipod that is suppose to motivate you - you hit the button and boom where ever you are it plays). Partly this song is my power song because it is the shortest song on my play list but also it does indeed make me move faster. Okay I'm delaying telling you trying to soften the news by explaining why..are you ready? ABC by the Jackson Five. I know your stunned. I was at first too I mean who knew I could love this song so much. But walkun with me a second about what the song has come to mean to me lately.

The song is about learning about love something we tend to over complicate. Love the central message of the Bible has been turned by some into a set of rules: Who should we love, and who is allowed to love. The Bible sings to us about the need to love God fully, then neighbor. Jesus came to show us how to live this life of love. He lived the life each day showing us how to love our neighbor, love God, love ourselves. In other words the ABCs of love.

The songs saids:
Get up, girl!
Show me what you can do!
Shake it, shake it, baby, come on now!

This is one of my favorite lyrics of the song (after learning about Love) to get up and "shake it." If you now have this disturbing image of me running and shaking it...I'm not ashamed to say this does happen..Thankfully I walkun in remote areas mainly in cemeteries so as to not cause a disturbance...but getting back to our discussion about love. Christ wants you to shake it too. Whatever you are good at and all of us are extremely good at something so go out and SHAKE IT! Love dramatically, wholly, fully each day. This is how the mission team I was on loved in Peru. And it is how we witnessed many Christian Peruvians love the same way. One of them is Laura Rojas (see pic above). Each Saturday she opens her home up to 40-50 children and they come to hear the message of Jesus Christ and share in some much needed food. Later the same day she also teaches their parents. Each day Laura "shakes it" by showing her love for others in her community, doing what she can to help the children and their parents not only hear about Christ love for them but loving them radically, fully and wholly.

What is the results of this radical love? I can say after being present for just one day with her and the children I feel radically loved as well. Laura encouraged me to continue "shaking it."

So whoever has tried to limit your outpouring of love..ignore them, get away from them, and listen to Christ call for you to love and be loved. I can't wait to see you shaking it and don't be surprised to see me join you!

Peace!

PS: I've included a video of Bible school at Laura's house!

Comments