Hope in the caregiving wilderness - Way 14 out of the caregiving wilderness

Hope is needed everywhere, but in the wilderness of caregiving it is something we must take time to find or create.  How do we find hope?  Or how do we create it?

Finding hope is something we can strive to look for.  When you set yourself to look for hope it is findable.  I don't give this suggestion lightly as someone who like many of you is looking at another year of caregiving in the midst of COVID restrictions and less and less help is in site; I know what I am asking of you sounds counterintuitive.  But, I will ask you to create one method to try and look for hope in your day.  Then write that hope down.  Keep a jar of hopeful thoughts, or a journal, or pictures. Something to anchor your placement of it.  I have a trigger to make me look for hope.  What is it?  It is something I know will happen every day.  Whenever I see an open door, I ask myself what am I hoping for?  If I've already done it that day I may skip it or remind myself to go write it down.

Second, how do we create hope?  Hopeful thoughts can be created through daily practices, or anchors.  I mention how I use a door to trigger me to remind me to look for hope.  But I also have created a practice for myself that if I am writing someone, or talking to someone I must end in hope.  This is creating a space for me to think of something hopeful to give that person and in such creating hopeful space for myself. 

I also write myself hopeful, thankful messages.  Whenever I order a package that offers a gift tag, I write one to myself.  Then I save them in my purse to hand out to others.  I don't include my name in the "dear" portion, this way the hopeful/thankful note can be shared down the line to anyone.

My hope for you this coming year is that you will give hope a chance to light your way through the wilderness of caregiving.

Peace!



Comments