I made my breakfast first today - Way 10 out of caregiving wilderness

Big deal right?  Yeah, I know you probably make your breakfast and even take a long walk if you want to.  My life isn't set up this way --unless I plan it, or make it happen on purpose.  You see I'm a caregiver.  I'm a caregiver to someone who needs all their needs met by me.  Yes, I am blessed to share this with a husband, school, and adult son.   But that's it. Let me give you an idea of how making my own breakfast first yesterday was a revolutionary act for me.

Sunday began as most do.  Jeremiah waking up and me stumbling out of my room to see where to begin our day.  Did he need changed?  Medicine? A bath?  I took care of all his immediate needs and decided I was going to make my breakfast first today.

I made myself a lovely white egg omelet with green peppers and fried bread.  I sat down and ate it all.  I almost started to make Jeremiah's breakfast before I ate mine.  This is a common act - I make his food, get distracted and come back to mine cold, hard, yucky.  Sunday I realized this doesn't have to be this way.  I can care for myself by eating breakfast first.  It doesn't mean I love my son less.  It doesn't mean he won't have a fabulous meal when he is ready to eat.  

Today is Monday.  After writing this blog I'm making my breakfast first, and it will be lovely.  Here is a little meme to start your day.  

Comments