Have the talk - way 5 out of the caregiving wilderness


Have the talk with your family, friends, pastors, and medical professionals. Be ready to know what are the life saving treatments that will be done. What ones will we not do?

Dwayne and I have had this talk while caring for our son as well as for each other.

The way we approached it is - what does Jeremiah love to do? What devices, treatments get in the way of him doing those things? For Jeremiah he loves these things - eating, wandering, twirling and watching veggie tales.

If he couldn't do those things would he enjoy his life?


One treatment we have on the list that we will not do is a feeding tube.  When Jeremiah took a turn for the worse today and I had to be ready to answer all these questions - I was ready even though Dwayne had stepped out . I did choose a tube for medicine - but not for eating.

Jeremiah is stable and I thank God for this. I also give thanks for the wisdom and grace extended by being ready for the hard decisions. 
"In all thy ways acknowledge him and he will direct your paths." proverbs 3:6

Comments