40 Ways out of the Caregiving Wilderness - Drink Water Way 1

Here it is 3:30 in the afternoon and I still have my pajamas on! There is a delivery person at the door and I have to quickly figure out how to make this okay.  I grab a sweatshirt, comb my hair (with my hands) and quickly put some shoes on.  Now I just look like someone who has slept on the couch for a few hours!

Yes there are many days I live in a caregiving wilderness where upon reflection I am lucky to get a shower, real clothes on and have a thought outside of caregiving.  Most days in fact I get to accomplish these things, however one can begin to feel that the wilderness of caregiving has caused us to wander off the path.   We have lost our humanity. 

Caregivers have respect but little power. We get kind comments but few actual activities of assistance.  This is for a variety of reasons of which I am not going to name any of them.  Instead I want to focus on how you, yes you mr/ms caregiver can take steps out of the wilderness path.  

Today we will begin with step one.  Note that any of these steps can be done in any order, but I am beginning in an order that makes the most sense for me:

Step one grab a water bottle or container.  Measure out at least 8 ounces and drink it.  Drink drink drink until you have at least 40 ounces of water achieved each day.  I know most people will tell you 64 ounces and frankly I think they are over achievers.  If I can accomplish 40 ounces or 5 glasses of water in a day I consider that a success.  You should however try to do these 3 things while drinking your water: 
* Drink your water from a container you enjoy and is easy to carry around.  For some this will be a water bottle; for others like myself it will be a glass or mason jar.  Just make a point of whatever container you use to make it only for you.  
* Track your water intake to ensure you actually drink at least 40 ounces.  I track this through marks on a board, but have used beads on a key chain moving the beads up to track my intake.
*  As you drink your water give thanks.  Thanks for the water you have and thanks for the ways in which the water will bring your body, mind & spirit healing and wellness.

Peace my friends and cheers to you!
Two of my favorite containers-

Comments