Taking your cravings and making them work



Yesterday I stood in line waiting to pay at the pharmacy for my son's medication.  These are things I do about 2 times a month so nothing unusual.  But as I looked over to my right, left, and in front I noticed all this halloween candy/fall candy/ every day candy.  For the most part candy is not a problem for me to turn down.  But, when I am stressed, hungry and feeling a bit like 'I deserve this!" I can often push my reason behind.

Then I saw it...caramel apple chews.  Yikes!  Perhaps two of my favorite items, caramel, and apple.  I looked at the package and seen the calories (ridiculous) and the ingredients (creepy).  And put them back, hurray for me!

But what to do with that craving?  I pushed it aside until the next morning and made a new recipe:

Caramel Apple Oatmeal
1/4 cup steel oats
1 apple
1 caramel
3/4 cup water

Cut up apple ( I leave the peel on)
Place water to boil, I added 1/2 the apple in the water, to boil.  Then when the water is boiling add the oatmeal, cover and turn down the heat to simmer.  After about 5 min add your caramel (I used Kraft 1 piece).  Then cover, and watch in about 5 more minutes most of the water should be absorbed, turn off the heat, stir and place in bowl with remaining apples.  I added a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.




Comments