Are you anxious?

Matthew 6:26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?


We live in anxious times where we look to different measures to determine if we are safe. Some of us look at the stock market, the unemployment rate, local news, and our checkbooks, but some of us have learned over time that none of these measurements really tell us what we want to know…will we be okay? Are my children going to be all right? What about my retirement? Can I buy groceries this week? How will I pay for my medicine this month? I could go on and on and I am sure you could add to my list of concerns.
Recently we delivered to some doorsteps the verse that Jesus shared above with a little sack of birdseed. The simple act Jesus asks us to consider is to look at the birds. Watch them, how they eat, fly around and notice that they are not worried about their lives. Feeding the birds an activity I have enjoyed as a child helps us to remember two things: 1) that the birds are beautiful and indeed are not worried about their lives, 2) in the community I live in I am responsible to help all creatures, birds, neighbors, children etc.
During this Christmas season here at Oakland United Methodist Church (OUMC) we will be handing out bird seed and inviting you to feed them and consider how you are indeed more valuable than the birds. You are created in the image of God and you have a purpose that only you can achieve. While feeding the birds consider not only your value but also the value of your neighbor and those God has given you to care for. Here at OUMC we would like to help you find clear guidance on what God has called you to do and to help equip you with tools to achieve those goals. We hope you can come and join us at some of the activities we will be having this winter and learn about the gifts God has in store for you.

Peace!

Comments