Mission - to GO or not to go?

Mission work is something I have been doing for 12 years and have been blessed in participating either through being a team member or by supporting a team. Through the many teams I have worked with teams getting them to Peru, Kentucky, Pittsburg, Honduras,or Guatemala; I've discovered that people make all kinds of excuses not to participate. Since I am getting ready to lead 2 teams to Peru next year I thought we would review the most common excuses for not going:

10: I have to care for my pets.
9: I won't be able to curl my hair.
8: I think someone might need me to do something that day.
7: I don't have any skills.
6: I don't have the time.
5: I have to loose weight.
4: I am not able to build anything.
3: I won't like the food.
2: I don't know the Bible.
1: I don' have the money.

Note that the list although varied from the ridiculous to something you could use when you are asked to go on a mission trip...all begin with the pronoun "I". When people decided to use whatever excuse they are thinking about instead of properly considering going and being part of God's plan they are only thinking of themselves. The I word alone is probably the only valid reason for not going on a mission trip. If someone would say "I care to much about myself to share with others," then we would be getting the the real reason we do not participate in mission because we care too much about ourselves and not sharing the love of Jesus Christ.

Mission trips are trully not for everyone to physically participate in, but they are for everyone to prayfully, and financially participate in. Whether or not you physically go you can go on a mission trip by helping the team get there. And when you are asked to participate the answer should be "Yes with God's help I will participate in this mission."

In 2010 we will be taking two teams to Peru. Please consider how to put your "I" aside and answer how God is calling you to be the "hands and feet" of Jesus Christ in Peru. Through the gifts of the Holy Spirit we are all called to serve. Come to the meeting on September 27th or email me at gnhale@sprintmail.com and I will send you the information; Ready, Set, GO!

Peace!
Pastor Georgia

Comments