smells of home

I was cooking the other day with garlic and olive oil and as the aroma caressed my face I felt like crying. These smells more than any other remind me of being loved. My mother who was from Spain generously cooked with these two ingredients. Even though we lived in the mid west for most of our lives she still managed to find them and add them to our food. My earliest memories are sitting in my high chair smelling garlic and olive oil frying in the pan, waiting to dance on the bread she was making us for breakfast.

As I continued cooking with tears on my face I considered what aromas would my friends and family consider home or associate with being loved? I know as I continue to feel the struggle of these economic times, I will be adding a bit more garlic and olive oil to my day. It helps me remain connected to an essential ingredient to who I am. Although mom is gone from this earth now, the aroma of her love continues in my heart and in my kitchen.

Peace my friends,
Georgia

Comments