Benefits of a Recession

I came to a realization after greeting my fourth neighbor one Tuesday morning walking at 9:00 am..I am seeing more of my neighbors. Normally I walk almost every day and when doing so I usually just see the mail person, a few delivery trucks and dogs and cats anxiously awaiting the return of their loved ones. But recently something has changed...some of my neighbors are home and they are outside walking too. This has created for me an opportunity to visit with them and share concerns and joys. Our recession has provided us a side benefit that "normal" economy does not--getting to know one another instead of running to the next 'best' thing.

I was reminded of this verse from Proverbs 27:10 -
Do not forsake your friend and the friend of your father,
and do not go to your brother's house when disaster strikes you—
better a neighbor nearby than a brother far away.

Indeed going to my neighbor and hearing their problems or being able to share mine was so much more helpful then trying to go and call my family (which happens to live far away). Not only does my neighbor understand our situation but we have the opportunity of seeing each other daily and being able to support one another during these trying times.

Community is something we all need and something we should all aspire to being a part of. This recession we are in is indeed difficult at times but it is only made worse if we isolate ourselves and try and solve the problems within our own abilities. God calls us to reach to one another and work together in community. Which is why we are organizing something different this year in our community at Oakland...Church in the street. It will require that all of us talk to one another and share gifts we have to be able to assist our neighborhood. This May we will meet at a planning meal and share some of our gifts and how we are willing to use them. I hope you will do the same in your community.

Peace,

Comments