Lost Dreams

These last few weeks we have been searching through the story of Joseph in the Bible. In particular we have focus on lost dreams and hopelessness. As I considered my own hopeless situations I found that I felt myself unable to breathe. It felt like I couldn't find any oxygen. I quickly stopped and turned my thoughts on Jesus Christ and my breathing turned less labored. As I considered the sermon I was to deliver today. I remember Jesus Christ is hope. He is all that I need. Whatever hopelessness I find wherever I am, Jesus can and will restore me.

My memory that left me gasping for air was about the birth of our youngest son and how he was rushed to a different hospital when he was born. As I sat there that first time without a new born to hold. I cursed God. I was very angry and it was only about to get worse. Our son would have a disease that many people would only say unkind words about: retarded, seizures, death. I couldn't help but feel the hope that I had while I was pregnant with this beautiful person escape me and life felt horribly wrong.

It was later I realized our family needed to go to church. I couldn't care for them not entirely, not with this baby who needed so much help. So we went to a local United methodist church where the pastor ask me a very interesting question. How can we help you? She knew about our son but did not know how the church could be supportive. So I eventually asked to be sent to a special school where we learned how to be parents to this wonderful person. It was there that hope really began to shine through as we heard new words for our son...loving, beautiful, peaceful...

Through the body of Jesus Christ (the church) I was able to be healed. And while I still have moments or days of sadness, the hopelessness I once felt is completely gone. I wish the same for you my friend. Whatever situation you are in that may make you feel hopeless, Jesus Christ offers you hope. He died for all of us and rose again. He loves you and so do I...Peace to you dear ones.

Comments