Be prepared to ask for what you need - Way 6 out of the caregiving wilderness

This is not a favorite of mine but became easier when I accepted that our journey with our son was going to be a marathon not a sprint.

Oddly enough I began to write this before we left for a hospital visit and before we entered ICU.  Illness, caregiving, hospital visits, are one level of caregiving wilderness, but ICU perhaps is the most challenging. As I sat there trying to answer questions about what was needed.  I resorted to our short list: lawn mowed, doors checked, mail stopped.  I handed this list out.

Then the days turn to a week and our list changed.  List: food, money, hotel costs, sleep, laundry, ...Money came in, washer appeared, laundry soap,  hotel assistance.  food ordered for us.  Thanks be to God...manna from heaven.

Then I was asked again.  What else?  Communion, we want to share communion.  And so grace came in little plastic cups.  Wafer in side the cup ready to be shared and love abound. 
Jeremiah couldn't take communion as he cannot swallow anything right now.  His was given to the birds and shared with much joy. 

Later as we prepared to move out of ICU to the next stage of our stay, I asked Dwayne what do we need?  A car, we need a car, as we had to borrow one to come to the hospital.  I posted this on our facebook page, knowing that God had already answered this request.  A few days later, a message about a car.  Thanks be to God!

People will ask, "what do you need, how can we help?"

 Many have never experienced the wilderness of what you are going through and they can't possibly know.  Make a list now, be ready to share it, and know that God is preparing someone to answer this request.

 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.  I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity.  Jeremiah 29:11-14

Asking for what you want will deliver you from the captivity of this wilderness.  I know its hard.  But trust God, make the list and share it with the knowledge that when you let God and let go, the load of the wilderness gets lighter. 

Peace be with you,
Georgia
 

Comments