Listening first

I have had the blessing of being a part of many funerals.  Some would find that statement a bit odd, why would anyone consider this a blessing?  It is for me one of the greatest privileges and honors to be with people when they are grieving.  To walk along side them and listen to their stories of love, joy, regret, fear, and hope.

Some funerals are easier than others in that everyone was ready and knew this was going to be coming - those in illness, those in hospice, those who lived a long life.
Others are much more difficult because we are shocked as lives are cut short
- those in accidents, those in suicide, or those who did not share their lives with us so we are left with many questions.

 I begin this funeral plan the same I would with all the others: by listening to Jeremiah's stories.

Here is one story shared by Hagrid (our dog):

I am amazed at how much Jeremiah loves to eat.  He loves food as much as I do.  When he eats he prays first by clapping and laughing.  Then he sometimes carefully feels his food, like when he eats sweet corn: he takes the cob and rolls it gently over his face then eats it!  Or when he has his breakfast Spanish tortilla he sometimes grabs it with his hands, other times he uses a fork, and he expresses his joy very emotionally: hm mm, hmmmmmm, hmmmm!

Jeremiah also shares his food!  For that I am very thankful as I am often too just so excited to smell what he is eating and seeing the glorious table he has set before him.  He gives me a portion every day and it doesn't matter what it is!  Sometimes it is peanut butter and crackers yum! Sometimes M&Ms yes! Other times it is rice and beans, or maybe a bit of his bread.  Jeremiah by far is the most generous person I know.  Thank you God for making him one of my masters.
Hagrid looking at Jeremiah's ornament
What do you like best about Jeremiah?

Comments