Thanksgiving Memories

As I was reflecting on what to write about this newsletter I was thinking of past Thanksgiving meals and events. Most of these holiday memories were filled with food featuring a great cooked turkey..except one Thanksgiving perhaps my favorite one. About 5 years ago my husband and I went with a mission team to Guatemala to work on a small church in the mountains. We worked as a team building a Sunday school room for the students of that mountain village. We also had classes and played with the local children. There was one bike for the town and we took turns riding it and showing off our skills. One of our team members - Sugar Homer was able to do wheelies and he was 80 years old! This however happened all before Thanksgiving.

We were finishing up on the church building when in walks the largest Tom Turkey I have ever seen. His feathers were all beautifully spread and he carefully walked into the church...as if he was looking for his pew! Then when he couldn't find the pew (or the future Mrs. Tom) he left out the side door. I thought how lucky that turkey was living here in Guatemala on Thanksgiving day! Meanwhile we ate our lunch of peanut butter sandwiches and went on our Thanksgiving week quite thankful to have a home, food and new friends in the hills of Guatemala.

This year I won't be in Guatemala but at home after walking 60 miles for breast cancer. I will however, be thankful that I have a home, friends and good health. We have many neighbors that do not have these things. Before your own meal this year or gathering I suggest you give thanks and give a gift of food to your local food pantry.

Peace be with you!

Comments